The project aims to empower people to take their health into their own hands. The Weight Away project engages with people in Tottenham who need to lose weight to improve their health and wellbeing through a practical and sustained response. In the current pilot project funded by Big Lottery, in partnership with Social Action for Health (SAfH), we use a weight loss circle approach to:
- Deliver an innovative and much needed weight loss approach from the Laurels Healthy Living Centre
- Work with an expert consultant to develop and deliver a six week course and follow up peer support framework so people can successfully lose and sustain weight loss.
- Develop an on line members forum and explore how digital technology and social media can be used proactively to provide individual/shared tools and an ongoing peer support network
- Train, mentor and support volunteer ‘apprentices’ and participants to lead ongoing peer groups, give 121 technical support and facilitate new Weight Away courses
- Embed action learning and work with trained volunteer community researchers to evaluate the approach.
- Registration and induction
- Participation in a six week course for two hours per week including facilitated discussions, exercises, tip sharing, and developing healthier lifestyles.
Click here to download Weight Away Flyer